Trackball to USB Keyboard/Mouse Profile for OG XBOX

Just starting out with KADE? Come here first.

Trackball to USB Keyboard/Mouse Profile for OG XBOX

Postby Keroppi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Works on PC, but I can't get it to recognize as a mouse on the original XBOX to save my life...although the OG XBOX should/does recognize standard USB mice.
Has anybody tried it and had any luck?
(And yes, I know the Xbox controller profile supports a trackball, but that isn't helpful if you don't have a PS/2 interface board)
I am trying to do this on the cheap, and I don't want to buy new encoders like Opti-Wiz just for trackballs when I have a pile of KADEs lying around.
If anybody has any insight, let me know. Thanks!!
Keroppi
poster

Re: Trackball to USB Keyboard/Mouse Profile for OG XBOX

Postby PL1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:48 am

Keroppi wrote:Works on PC, but I can't get it to recognize as a mouse on the original XBOX to save my life...although the OG XBOX should/does recognize standard USB mice.
Has anybody tried it and had any luck?
(And yes, I know the Xbox controller profile supports a trackball, but that isn't helpful if you don't have a PS/2 interface board)
I am trying to do this on the cheap, and I don't want to buy new encoders like Opti-Wiz just for trackballs when I have a pile of KADEs lying around.
If anybody has any insight, let me know. Thanks!!

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're trying to do. :?

Are you asking how to connect a USB trackball (with no PS/2 connector) through a KADE to an XBox, using the KADE XBox firmware?

Is your USB trackball retro-compatible with PS/2 using an adapter like this?

If it is, you can use the adapter and a PS/2 cable as shown in the video below or the USB to PS/2 pinout here to use just a USB cable.

Data - on USB = Data on PS/2
Data + on USB = Clock on PS/2

The KADE to PS/2 connections are shown at 0:37 in this video.

Scott
PL1
poster

Postby Keroppi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks for the response.

I know I can do what you describe. But I don't have encoder board (no PS/2 OR USB), just a raw Arcade trackball.
The xbox profile would allow you to wire up a PS/2 one, yes.
The USB Keybd/mouse profile will allow you to take a raw trackball and convert it to usb.
The computer will recognize the converted trackball and run
The xbox ignores it.
The xbox DOES support other USB trackballs. For example, you can plug in an X-Arcade, it just works.
So I was just trying to figure out if trackball encoding specifically via the kybd/mouse profile to the xbox doesn't work, or if I was missing something. Thanks!!
Keroppi
poster

Postby PL1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:12 pm

OK, now I get it. ;)

KADE isn't the best choice for an optical encoder, anyway.

If you have a 32u4 Arduino (Pro Micro, Micro, Leonardo) handy, you might want to try StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware.

The hex firmware file is on the thingiverse page.

Load the hex on the board using ArduinoBuilder.

It works great on a PC (I couldn't induce any backspin here) and IIRC it shows up as a HID mouse so it should work with the XBox. :D

Scott
PL1
poster

Postby Keroppi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up, thats a great idea!

However, all the units I have are 32U2...I couldn't find a lot about the differences except # of pins and amount of RAM. Any idea offhand if they are compatible?
Keroppi
poster

Postby PL1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Keroppi wrote:Thanks for the heads up, thats a great idea!

However, all the units I have are 32U2...I couldn't find a lot about the differences except # of pins and amount of RAM. Any idea offhand if they are compatible?

The hex MIGHT be backward compatible to 32u2 as-is, but I wouldn't bet on it.

StefanBurger posted the Arduino script source here on thingiverse (ToSpin_20.ino) so you should be able to compile it for a 32u2.

It uses "NeoPixel" addressable LEDs so you will need to either import the neopixel library (*** remember to rename the file per the readme ***) or remove the neopixel "include" and code in order to compile/upload to an Arduino.

I think the ArduinoBuilder software can also compile/export a hex file from the ".ino" script, but I haven't got that function to work yet. :oops:

If you got that to work, you could load the hex on a Minimus using KADE Loader. :D

Another possible approach is at http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-Minimus-AVR-with-Arduino-IDE/. (disclaimer: haven't tried this)

This guy used a 32u2 Minimus to drive some Neopixels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DayPkgUHU3g

Scott
PL1
poster

Return to KADE General Help & Support