Which Atmel Chipsets foes the Kade loader software work with

Just starting out with KADE? Come here first.

Which Atmel Chipsets foes the Kade loader software work with

Postby fantumx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:27 pm

I know that the original Kade was designed for a Minimus AVR, but those are near impossible to find lately. The minimus AVR was based on the Teensy 1.0 with a AT90USB162 chip. Does the software work only with 8 bit chips, or are there other Atmel chips the loader works with?
fantumx
poster

Re: Which Atmel Chipsets does the Kade loader software work

Postby PL1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:12 am

The two most common miniArcade/microArcade AVR boards supported by Loader are:
1. Minimus at90usb162 -- as you mentioned they are almost impossible to find :(
2. Minimus atmega32u2 -- available at CK3 or you can buy either a kit or fully assembled KADE from the Official KADE store

If you find another vendor, please let me know so I can add them to the KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list.

The other boards supported by Loader are:
1. at90usb646 and at90usb1286 maxArcade (Beta only -- abandoned prototype) boards by MattairTech
2. atmega328 (not sure what source/vendor they used for this :? )
3. PS360+
4. DualStrike

IIRC one thing that limits Loader compatibility is the proprietary bootloader on some boards like the Teensy.

If you're an advanced user, you can edit/compile your own custom firmwares and use the Flip software to upload them to boards that have an "Atmel DFU" bootloader like the atmega32u4 board used in KADESTICK.

Scott
PL1
poster

Re: Which Atmel Chipsets foes the Kade loader software work

Postby fantumx » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Thank you so much! :D
fantumx
poster

Postby fantumx » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 pm

When you load onto the PS360+, does it work with the xbox 360 like the original board? I understand that there is a proprietary algorithm that syncs with the xbox 360.

I'm curious if it is in the main program on that board or on a separate chip. I know the Kade team hasn't cracked it yet, and as far as I know, just some guy in his shed with some acid etchant has figured it out. But, he didn't tell anyone what he found. If it is a second chip, someone could figure out a way to desolder it from a broken controller and add it to a new board.
fantumx
poster

Postby fantumx » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Also, a few more US sources to add for the boards:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html

https://www.adafruit.com/product/731

http://www.microcenter.com/search/searc ... Ntt=teensy

The Teensy++ is the Max Arcade chip and the Teensy V2 is the KadeStick chip. The Kade Mini/Micro chip was on the Teensy v1, which is no longer readily available. When I get time to play around some more, I can mess with the source code a little. I have been playing around with game pad converters for about 15 years at this point. I built a bunch of converters for NES/SNES, Atari, Sega, etc when I was in high school that hooked up to a parallel port and worked with Windows 98 SE and have been collecting and studying for a little bit at a time all these years. I actually had a bunch of badly written code thrown together long before the miniConsole+ was announced. It seems the Kade team has far more time and ambition to complete such a project than I do.
fantumx
poster

Postby PL1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks for pointing out the Teensy links, but AFAIK they aren't plug-and-play compatible with Loader and KADE firmwares.

Bruno mentioned here that there are some minor changes needed to run KADE source code on Teensy 2.0 boards, but I have no idea what those changes are. :?

If you figure out how to make things work with the Teensy boards let us know, but there are some reasons here why adafruit chose to design a board with these features instead of just using the Teensy.
…another LED, for power-good indication
…a 500mA fuse on the USB power-source pin
…mounting holes so we could attach it easily
…reprogramming ISP header so we could program the board directly without the bootloader
…a larger reset button
…all the pins broken out for use with a breadboard
…open source bootloader that works with AVRdude

Scott
PL1
poster

Postby fantumx » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Cool, I bought the PJRC version without the modifications adafruit made. :)
fantumx
poster

Postby johnnygal » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 pm

fantumx wrote:Cool, I bought the PJRC version without the modifications adafruit made. :)

(Hope someone sees this being such an old thread)...
How did you get on with Teensy 2? I cannot find the minimus anywhere.

For the developers here, is there not a way to easily remove the bootloaders from these other at90usb162 or atmega32u2 boards?
johnnygal
poster

Postby PL1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 am

johnnygal wrote:I cannot find the minimus anywhere.

MaxRod on BYOAC knows the guys that make them and is offering some for sale.

PM him for details.

johnnygal wrote:For the developers here, is there not a way to easily remove the bootloaders from these other at90usb162 or atmega32u2 boards?

I haven't tried it, but this MattairTech 32u2 board allows you to select which bootloader you want.
CDC: Recommended! Arduino and AVRDUDE compatible
DFU: FLIP compatible
Atmel DFU: FLIP compatible (External pullup resistor required!)

Also, there are several bootloader hex files on the product page which suggests that you can reprogram the board with a different bootloader, but I haven't got any info on how to do that.

Scott
PL1
poster

Postby johnnygal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks Scott. I'll drop MaxRod a PM.

John
johnnygal
poster

Return to KADE General Help & Support